Jonathan advises on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions (local and cross-border), capital markets (pre-listing, listing and post-listing), corporate governance and regulatory and compliance matters. He has advised a variety of clients from SMEs, SGX and Catalist-listed companies and MNCs to small partnerships and sole proprietors, across a breadth of industries such as manufacturing, property investment & development, and services (including dental & health clinics, insurance agencies, advertising agencies, childcare centres and online businesses such as e-commerce and app developers).
Jonathan takes pride in his ability to quickly understand clients’ intentions and strategic needs in order to provide solutions that are commercially feasible yet effective. He is an excellent communicator, being able to draft quickly and fluently.
Before joining Characterist LLC, Jonathan was in the legal and compliance team of a Singapore MNC involved in investments, asset management and consulting for overseas airports. Prior to that, Jonathan gained invaluable experience practising corporate law for seven years at Stamford Law Corporation (now Morgan Lewis Stamford) and Lee & Lee, with an emphasis on capital markets transactions (equity and debt financing, initial public offerings and post-listing corporate actions) and mergers and acquisitions.
Jonathan moonlights as family chauffeur for his two children during weekends. He is active in church, and enjoys reading, playing football and strumming his ukulele in his free time.
Tel: (65) 6298 8388
Fax: (65) 6338 2685
“One of the most fulfilling aspects of my profession is when I can play a major role for my clients at a critical point of their business adventures. Truly understanding their businesses and concerns, and anticipating their needs, is a key part of that.”
~ Jonathan Lam
- • Corporate & Commercial Law
- • Mergers and acquisitions (local and international)
- • Sale and purchases of business and assets
- • Capital markets transactions (including pre-listing, listing and post-listing corporate
actions and restructuring)
- show more...
- • Joint ventures
- • Partnerships
- • Business investments
- • Commercial and retail leases
- • Commercial agreements
- • Service agreements for professional independent contractors
- • Distributorship agreements
- • Banking and loans
- • Corporate governance
- • Regulatory and Compliance
- • Personal Data Protection Act
- • Corporate policies for corporate groups
- show less...
- • Advised on, drafted and negotiated on numerous mergers and acquisitions transactions including term sheets, confidentiality agreements, investment and subscription agreements, sale and purchase agreements.
- • Advised on, drafted and negotiated numerous corporate documents such as shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, service agreements for key employees etc.
- • Advised companies on the process of listing their businesses in Singapore (both SGX Mainboard and Catalist), including drafting of key IPO documents such as prospectuses and offer documents. Also advised and drafted key transaction documents for pre-listing investments such as investment and share swap agreements.
- show more...
- • Advised on, drafted and negotiated key transaction documents such as shareholder circulars and SGX announcements, for numerous capital markets transactions including rights issues, major acquisitions and disposals and interested person transactions.
- • Advised on, drafted and amended key documents for SGX-listed companies in takeover transactions including public announcements and shareholder circulars.
- • Liaised with and made oral and written representations on behalf of clients to various regulatory bodies including SGX, MAS (including the SIC), for the purposes of approving various corporate transactions.
- • Conducted legal due diligence and issued Singapore legal opinions as part of corporate transactions.
- • Advised on, reviewed and negotiated bank financing documents for various listed and private companies.
- • Drafted, reviewed and advised on general commercial contracts including sale of goods and services, distributorship agreements, franchise agreements, service agreements, and outsourcing agreements.
- • Advised on, drafted and negotiated numerous commercial tenancy agreements.
- • Advised on Singapore corporate laws including company law and legislation, securities laws, listing rules, take-over code etc.
- • Advised on and drafted corporate policy documents for corporate groups such as employees' handbook, PDPA policy, securities trading policy, etc.
- • Advised on industry specific Singapore laws as part of business compliance review exercises
- • Advised on Singapore laws impacting Singapore businesses such as the Employment Act and the Personal Data Protection Act.
- show less...
- • 2006 - Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- • LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
"Jonathan Lam is one of the best lawyers I have come across. His detailed and immaculate professional approach ...showed me that he takes ownership of his tasks, as if it were his own deal that he is negotiating and securing. My business partner and I are grateful that Jonathan is the one who is helping us in handling the deal."