Lim Ker Sheon heads the Construction Litigation and Arbitration Practice Group of the firm and is also the co-head of the Corporate and Commercial Law Practice Group. Ker Sheon joined Characterist LLC as a Director on 1 April 2008 having previously practiced with the firms of Messrs Derrick Ravi Partnership (now Straits Law Practice LLC) and Asia Law Corporation. Ker Sheon also branched outside the legal profession into the areas of IT and Business Development Consulting in Singapore and China for a period of about 2 years.
Ker Sheon has acted as legal counsel on corporate and litigation matters for Statutory Boards, Quasi-Government Institutions, hospitals, and for both MNCs and SMEs in the construction, IT, education, logistics and retail industries.
Ker Sheon also serves with various charities, including the Management Board of the AG Home (a Home for teenage girls in crisis) and BLC Community Services. Ker Sheon teaches law on a part-time basis with the PSB Academy (undergraduate engineering courses). Ker Sheon has previously served in various capacities in committees (including as Vice-Chairman of the Small Law Firms Committee) both with the Singapore Law Society and Singapore Academy of Law.
Ker Sheon is a frequent speaker on the seminar circuit, primarily in the areas of Commercial law and Mergers & Acquisitions.
Ker Sheon's primary areas of practice are in construction and commercial litigation, as well as in corporate law and IT-corporate law. In his former capacity, Ker Sheon acts frequently in multi-million dollar shareholder disputes and construction disputes in Court and in arbitration, and is known for a pragmatic, cost-effective and problem-solving approach to dispute resolution. Ker Sheon has also acted for clients in various landmark SOP adjudication cases.
Wearing the hat of the co-head of the Corporate and Commercial Law Practice Group, Ker Sheon advises corporate clients on Mergers and Acquisitions, local and international Franchising, legal and operational aspects of product development (including Intellectual Property rights, efficacy and costs), drafting of commercial contracts, drafting of tenancy agreements and renewals, drafting and/or reviewing standard form Purchase Orders, Invoices, Terms and Conditions of Sale.
Ker Sheon is also involved in criminal law, mediation, dispute resolution and debt negotiation and management. Ker Sheon has been involved with cases as diverse as the defence and acquittal of clients involved in wildlife smuggling, cross-border Mergers and Acquisitions and setting up local and overseas franchises.
Tel: (65) 6222 5562
Fax: (65) 6222 5561
"A lawyer is a problem solver."
~ Lim Ker Sheon
- • Various reported decisions in the area of the Building and construction (Security of Payments) Act adjudication.
- • Acting for various local and multi-national construction companies as their outsourced legal department.
- • Acting for main contractors, main sub-contractors and sub-contractors in numerous multi-million dollar construction disputes, in Court and in arbitration, including :
- show more...
- Successfully obtaining awards in SOP Adjudications, including one in excess of S$700,000
- In various SOP actions, successfully defending against various SOP applications on the basis of procedural wrongs, time bars and/or lack of jurisdiction;
- Advising on various disputes relating to the media industry in Singapore and the region;
- Acting in a multi-million dollar construction dispute arising from construction of an international R&D Centre in Singapore;
- Acting in a breach of contract claim against a key publisher and distributor;
- Acting in a multi-million dollar construction arbitration arising from the construction of one of Singapore's key tourist attractions;
Acted in various leading SOP Adjudication decisions in relation to:-
- Definition of “supply contracts” and “construction contracts”
- Definition of calculation of timelines in respect of payment claims and payment responses
- Whether statutory service of documents (ie by email) constitutes valid service, and under what circumstances
- Whether fields in the "Adjudication Application forms are mandatory”
- • Acting for claimants and respondents in respect of commercial disputes, including shareholder disputes, rectification of share registers, breach of trust, breaches of contract and other causes of action, including :
- Acting in a multi-million dollar shareholders dispute involving one of the top restaurants in Singapore;
- Defending a multi-million dollar claim by one of the largest international home products company;
- Acting against a controlling shareholder for breach of trust;
- Defending and counter-claiming in an action for accounts and breach of trust a multiple company dispute;
- Acting against an ex-employee of one of Singapore's leading retailers for criminal breach of trust and monies had and received.
- • Acted successfully to lift the corporate veil in respect of a BVI company.
- • Acting generally to advice, act in debt recovery and other general corporate and civil litigation matters for a variety of clients, including charities, statutory boards, MNCs and SMCs across various industries.
- Read Less...
- • Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acting for key management-shareholders in foreign acquisition of a leading Logistics Company
- Acting for Founder-shareholders in purchase by renowned French Listed company of regional distributorship and manufacturers in optical line
- Acting for Purchasers in reverse take-over of Indonesian listed company
- Advising Purchasers of reverse takeover of local group of companies (stable of companies including listed companies) (abortive)
- Acting for Founder-shareholders in purchase by leading Norwegian Boat Manufacturers of leading local distributorship
- Acting in various other local and cross-border M&A transactions
- Regular speaker in international seminars on the areas of Mergers & Acquisitions, Contract Law and HR law for various organisations including :
- • Aventedge
- • Asia Business Forum
- • Tonkin Corporation
- • PSB Academy
- show more...
- • Corporate Advisory / Corporate Finance
- Core business in the advice, drafting, negotiation and execution of Joint Ventures, particularly in the following industries :
- • Information technology (particularly ventures in India and Singapore), core clients being involved in the fields of (i) CRM & Loyalty Rewards programmes; (ii) Banking Security; (iii) Training and education; (iv) Graphics and Architectural Design; (v) recruitment; (vi) call centres etc.
- • Regional OEM manufacturing
- • Local Education Centres in the areas of (i) childcare; (ii) children's recreational; (iii) tuition centres
- • Local and cross-border (primarily PRC Chinese) joint ventures by local and China-owned Construction Companies
- • Various other industries
- • Outsourced Legal Department
- Acting as outsourced legal department (corporate and litigation) of various companies, including :
- • Statutory Boards
- • Subsidiaries of Government-Linked Companies (GLCs)
- • Various Companies in the areas of construction, education, human resource management and various other industries
- • Distributorship / Franchise Planning
- Advice, drafting and execution of local and international Franchise and distributorship (including Multi-Level Marketing and Direct Marketing) models for clients in many sectors, including :
- • Beauty and healthcare
- • Education - local
- • Education - foreign
- • Equipment Calibration
- • Energy Drinks
- • Household equipment
- • Various others
- • Securities and Futures / Banking and Project Finance
- Assisting and advice in the securing of international loans in excess of USD100 million;
- • Pre-IPO / Pre-investment Consulting
- Assessment, advice, structuring, corporate and contractual review and general consulting at pre-IPO / Pre-investment stage of various companies, primarily in the IT and Telecommunications industries.
- • Corporate Succession Planning
- Core business in corporate succession planning and key-man / management loss minimisation.
- Have advised, and executed succession plans for various local SMEs
- • Commercial Tenancy
- Advice, structuring and execution of tenancy structure and agreements of various entertainment hubs and retail shopping centres in Singapore.
- • Corporate Secretarial and Registered Office
- • Acted in various capacities as the Company Secretary, Nominee Director and/or Registered Office of various companies.
- Read Less...
- • Contract Law Fundamentals for Management and Executives
- • Construction Law Fundamentals
- • Employment Law and HR Masterclass
- • 2000 - Advocate & Solicitor, Singapore
- • 1999 - LLB (Hons), National University of Singapore
"I convinced my client to engage [C]haracterist LLC. Must thank Ker Sheon for his general sharing at C&H. It cast a lasting impression."