Noel was called to the bar in 2008, having joined the Characterist team after practicing in two of Singapore’s leading law firms. His practice is pre-dominantly in litigation and dispute resolution, specialising in civil and commercial litigation.
Noel has advised and represented individuals, multi-national corporations, listed companies and international banks before all levels of the Singapore Courts and arbitral tribunals on a broad range of contentious matters relating to contract, employment, trusts, insolvency, estate, tenancy, construction, joint venture and shareholder disputes, insurance, banking, intellectual property, criminal and motor accident matters.
Noel has also advised and acted for various institutions in the prosecution of multi-jurisdictional claims, including matters involving corporate and commercial fraud and the recovery and tracing of assets worldwide. His work in these areas has seen him involved in urgent applications to the Singapore Courts, including applications for Mareva and Norwich Pharmacal relief.
Outside of his practice in Characterist, Noel is on the Community Justice Centre's Panel of Primary Justice Lawyers, as part of a collaboration to encourage the public to explore amicable settlement of disputes before taking legal action in court.
Outside of law, Noel is an avid sports fan, and counts himself fortunate that he will never walk alone.
Tel: (65) 6222 5562
Fax: (65) 6222 5561
“We have been afforded the opportunity to safeguard interests and seek justice. This is a privilege not to be taken lightly.”
~ Noel Oehlers
- • Successfully obtaining Mareva relief in aid of a foreign arbitration at the ICC International Court of Arbitration. Application to discharge the Mareva Injunction was successfully resisted before the High Court and the Court of Appeal (see Solvadis Commodity Chemicals GmbH v Affert Resources Pte Ltd  1 SLR 174 (High Court)).
- • Successfully setting-aside the disciplinary proceedings of a well-known club against a client in the High Court, having obtained an interim injunction pending the successful outcome of the matter (see Khong Kin Hoong Lawrence v Singapore Polo Club  3 SLR 241 (High Court)).
- • Successfully obtaining judgment in the District Court for unpaid commission payments from a property developer (see Lim Chiew Peng v JVA Management & Consultancy Pte Ltd  SGDC 322 (District Court)).
- show more...
- • Representing a franchisee in Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) proceedings in respect of a franchise dispute concerning “best endeavours” obligations under a memorandum of understanding entered into by parties.
- • Successfully obtaining Norwich Pharmacal relief to facilitate the recovery and tracing of assets in relation to a US$1 billion fraud perpetrated on a foreign bank.
- • Assisting senior counsel in the successful representation of minority shareholders/directors of a leading manufacturer of hard disk drive components in a S$30 million claim for alleged breaches of fiduciary duties.
- • Advising the minority shareholders of a Cyprus holding company in a complex cross-border matter involving double derivative claims and the application of the corporate reflective loss principle.
- • Successfully representing an employee in a High Court claim for alleged breaches of covenants for non-competition/solicitation and use of confidential information/trade secrets.
- • Representing three co-defendants in a compilation copyright claim by a listed company in the High Court involving novel points of law.
- • Advising and representing a property developer in a complex multi-party construction action in the High Court.
- • Representing a high net worth individual in contentious probate proceedings in the High Court involving cross-border elements. Successfully defending a private prosecution under the Computer Misuse Act.
- • Part of the team advising and acting for the provisional liquidators/liquidators of MF Global Singapore, the now-defunct brokerage. Successfully obtained the High Court’s sanction of an interim distribution of customers’ segregated and proprietary funds collected by the provisional liquidators.
- show less...
- • Member, Law Society of Singapore
- • Member, Singapore Academy of Law